Thursday, October 26, 2017

Padala from Pinas

I got so lucky! Last week, I saw in Facebook that Ate Lody was in Pinas and will be coming back here in a couple of days. Ate Lody was our neighbor Lolomboy (my mother's home barangay) and she used to sell lutong-ulam at suki niya si Mamoosh. I was actually surprised because their family just went home last June for her mother-in-law's funeral. Their son got married pala this time and they really kept their return a secret because many would expect (or rather, demand) that they'd be invited to the wedding lol.

Anyway, I messaged her quickly and asked if they could carry a tarpaulin for me. She willingly agreed and I was so happy. Nagre-regret kasi ako na hindi ako nakipadala sa kanya ng tarpaulin last June for Nathan's birthday. I never expected that I'll have a chance again! Unlike in the Philippines, hindi uso ang tarpaulin dito for birthday parties. Kung meron mang gumagawa, sobrang mahal for sure. Mataas ang labor costs dito kaya pricey magpa-personalize.

I excitedly called Mamoosh about the tarpaulin. Joanne (our very reliable secretary / Mamoosh's assistant) and I made the design. It's very simple actually because it was rush na. Saka ayaw ko din ng tarpaulin na nagsusumigaw ang mukha ni Nathan lol.

I asked them to bring the tarpaulin to Ate Lody's house immediately after printing, para maka-secure na ng baggage space haha.

Picture sent by Joanne

About two days after that, Joanne messaged me and asked what else I want because Mamoosh saw Ate Lody pala in the market and she (Ate Lody) asked her kung bakit tarpaulin lang daw ang ipapadala. Pwede pa raw magdagdag.  Mamoosh knew that I am running out of conditioner so she asked Ate Lody kung pwede raw yun. Ok daw!

So here's what I requested:


The four bottles of conditioner should last me until January (kasi ng uuwi kami uli sa January 9), kasi meron pa naman akong konti dito. The hot oil treatment cream (in orange tub) is so good, pinabaunan ako noon ng BFF ko eh. Tamang-tama kasi ang dry na ng hair ko dahil na rin sa hot water. The small bottles of shampoo and body wash are for our California trip this November. Para hindi mabigat (I still have a small bottle of conditioner here).

One friend in Australia asked me kung wala raw bang Filipino store dito (she saw my post of the picture above in Instagram). Well, marami. Meron namang nabibili ditong mga Sunsilk at Creamsilk (and other Pinoy toiletries) pero masyadong mahal. Around $10 (plus tax pa) ang isang 200ml bottle. Hindi siya sustainable bilhin, especially kung malakas kang gumamit. Tayong mga Pinoy pa naman ay naliligo araw-araw lol. That's why palagi akong nagdadala ng supplies pagbalik ko rito (including facial wash, feminine wash, Safeguard soap, etc). Yun nga lang, syempre mauubos din. And by that time, no choice na but to use "local" products here that are way way cheaper and come in uber big bottles.

Now why am I still using Pinoy toiletries? Kasi talagang ibang gamitin ang Filipino products, Asian nga kasi tayo. The first time I showered in Pinas after living here in Canada, ay grabe ang sarap sa pakiramdam! Kaya every chance I get, I will really use the products na nakasanayan ko na. Natatapangan nga kasi ako talaga sa mga shampoo nila dito.

**********

Aside from an aunt (and her family), si Ate Lody lang ang talagang kilala ko rito sa Metro Vancouver before we moved. That is why I am grateful kasi iba pa rin ang feeling na may kababayan ka na nandito. At ako lang naman din daw ang kilala niya rito na taga-samin. Most of our barangay-mates are in Saskatchewan kasi.

Ay she gave me these three red ribbon slice cakes nga pala.

A taste of home

Thanks so muchie, Ate Lody and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment