Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thankful for the friendship

I miss my girls and I am so excited to be reunited with them again next month. You see, we've been friends since college and up until now, we consider our group as our "primary barkada." If I am to describe us, we are like the SATC (Sex and the City) girls - always talking/discussing, always eating lol!


It was so hard leaving them. I was already 34 when I immigrated here in Canada. I was skeptic kung makakahanap pa ako ng magiging malalapit na kaibigan. I prepared myself for a 'friendless existence.' I have to content myself with Ford, I convinced myself.

And then these ladies came into my life.

Joy, Mylene, and Cecil

I've actually known Cecil since college, She's my bestfriend Raxie's best cousin. Raxie lived with them (Cecil's family) for so many years so we would occasionally see each other. I was really happy na dito rin siya sa Edmonton napadpad dahil din sa asawa niya.

Through Cecil, I met Mylene. Cecil and Mylene's family temporarily share an apartment (Mylene and Cecil's husband Bal are relatives) so I would always see her whenever we would drop by their house. Mylene is super nice, pero syempre nagkakahiyaan pa.

And then one time, Mylene and her husband invited us to their baby's 7th month birthday. That's when I met Joy. She and Mylene are mag-kumares. All their husbands work in the same company in Fort McMurray nga pala.

Of course, closeness is a process. It took several get-togethers before we became really comfortable with each other.

But for me, the start of my meaningful friendship with them started when they visited us at the hospital a day after I gave birth to Nathan. Noon ko talaga sila na-appreciate. Noon ko na-realize na hindi na ako "mag-isa" sa Edmonton, na may karamay na ako. Cecil was already 8 months pregnant that time and Mylene just got back from Pinas. Joy took time to bake a banana cake for me (because she promised to do so after I commented on her FB that I'd love to taste that cake kaso may gestational diabetes ako). It was cold and snowing, yet they visited us.

I was really thankful. When you are in an alienating hospital at kayong dalawa lang ng asawa mo ang nandoon (and tired and exhausted because of the new baby), mata-touch ka talaga kapag may dumalaw sa inyo. I don't easily forget other people's kindness to me. Maaalala ko siguro iyon habambuhay.

Hay, enough of the drama! My point for this blog is: MAMI-MISS KO ANG TATLONG ITO!


I know na medyo sad din sila because I'll be away for four and a half months. Ngayon kasi mas masayang magkainan, magpicnic at gumala-gala kasi summer. Pagbalik namin, "winter" na. Medyo ma-stuck na naman kami sa bahay because of snow.

Di bale na, marami pa namang summer na susunod. Plus we'd probably be stuck with each other for as long as we're here in Edmonton hahaha!


I don't think these three girls will ever read this post (my family and friends are oblivious of this blog haha!) but someday if they do, I want them to know that I will treasure our friendship. Salamat talaga kasi pinasaya nila ang stay ko dito sa Canada. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment