Monday, February 9, 2015

I am prediabetic =(

I received a call from the Diabetes Center a few hours ago. I just had my postpartum 2-hour glucose test yesterday morning and they already received the result.

2-hour wait at the lab

I am "positive" for prediabetes. According to the nurse, my fasting sugar is 5.0 mmol/litre (but the med tech at the lab told me it's 4.4) but my  sugar after 2 hours of drinking the 75-gram glucose drink is 9.4 mmol/litre. Normal sugar must be below 7.7 mmol/litre. Prediabetis (or impaired glucose tolerance) is somewhere between normal glucose tolerance and diabetis (11.1 mmol/litre and above).

To be honest, I was already expecting a not so good result. Aside from having a family history of diabetes, I have a very poor eating diet. Pasalamat pa nga ako at hindi pa ako diabetic.

I was never a healthy eater to begin with. But after giving birth, my eating habit got worse. The first month after Nathan was born, I lost weight. I stayed in our bedroom (upstairs) the whole time and relied solely on what my husband will bring me to eat. I wasn't in the mood to eat too. But when I finally had the energy to go to the kitchen on my own, I ate a lot again. Mostly junk foods, those that I missed when I was pregnant (i.e. lots of rice, chocolates, chips, soda, etc.).

I did some reading and learned that the only solution (for now) for prediabetes is healthy eating and exercise. I need to lose some weight in the process. I would need to test my sugar again. Hay, parang deja vu ito noong buntis ako.

I am scheduled to meet with my Diabetes doctor again on March 9. Hay, akala ko hindi na kami uli magkikita soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment