Saturday, January 24, 2015

Nathan's first shots

As per the nurse's instruction, I booked Nathan's first immunization last November 19, 2014 pa. Ang unang bakuna pala dito ay ginagawa on the baby's second month. We were scheduled to come to the Public Health Center on January 22, 2015.

Hindi lang si Chicklet and babakunahan. According to Nurse Cindy (who visited me at home after I gave birth), I also need to get vaccinated because they found out daw in one of my blood tests (done during pregnancy) that I am not immune to "something." Sorry, I couldn't remember anymore the exact term. Even Ford needs some vaccination, too. I really appreciate their concern for our health. Ang ganda talaga ng health care system dito sa Canada.


January 22, 2015 (Thursday). I feel bad whenever I/we have to go to the doctor/clinic/hospital on weekdays because Ford has to either be late or leave the office early to accompany us. Nathan and I are so immobile without him. I am worried na baka mapagalitan siya sa work o mapagsabihan na abusado. Although I know na hindi naman (their office can't afford to lose him and he is being paid on a fixed monthly income, not hourly), I still wish na sana hindi na namin siya maistorbo. Kaso wala namang choice. We need a car and a driver to move around Edmonton. I've been assured din naman na "normal" lang dito sa Canada ang pag-absent o pag-undertime when it comes to health concerns. In the first place, by appointment system ang lahat. May mga schedules na hindi pwede sa weekend o gabi, halimbawa.

Anyway, Ford' home a few minutes before 4pm to pick us up. Our schedule is at 5:00 pm but we have to be there at 4:45 pm for the baby's weighing.


Ford said we could leave a bit later since malapit lang naman ang clinic. I insisted na umalis na kami agad because I do not want to be late. Ayokong mag-penalty at ayokong magpa-reschedule na naman.


True enough, the West Jasper Place Public Health Centre is just about 10 minutes from our house. We were there at around 4:20 pm. I am getting used to this, 10 to 15 minutes travel time. In the Philippines, we usually allot an hour or two papunta sa destination namin kahit malapit lang kasi sobrang traffic. A lot of time wasted on the road.


And because we were there "early" (but not that early naman in my standards), the receptionist told me: "But you know that the nurse can only get to you at 5:00pm, right?" Haha, time is so precious here!





We first had Nathan weighed. His weight as of last Thursday was 12 lbs 13 oz 9 (or 5.82 kgs) and height was 59 cm.  His head circumference was 40 cm.


We had to wait for a few more minutes before we were called in. Nagutom na si Nathan, Daddy Pod had to fed him. I am so proud of my husband, he is a hands-on dad. Very patient to his son.



Soon we were inside one of the rooms in the Clinic. It wasn't just a simple turok-agad session. The nurse asked me how we are. She gave us some "lectures" again on taking care of the baby. She explained to us all the vaccines that will be given to us. She also handed me a thick book on parenting (from Alberta Health Services) and a "Welcome Baby" Package from Edmonton Public Library.  Nakakatuwa talaga dito sa Canada, first world treatment talaga ang natatanggap ng citizens and residents. Sulit talaga ang taxes na binabayaran.

I had to take a picture of this chart. I need to know how my son's development is faring.


The nurse asked me if I want to get the flu shot as well. I refused, sabi ko sa susunod na lang. Two shots are enough for a day. I was surprised though that my husband agreed. Eh isa pang duwag yun. Para isang puntahan na lang daw. He was trying to convince me but I was scared. I've heard of people getting "sick" after having flu shots. We cannot afford to both get sick, kawawa si Nathan.

I was the first to get vaccinated. Despite my horrible and painful experiences in pregnancy and child birth, I was still scared. Kung tutuusin ay sisiw na lang yung sa pinagdaanan ko haha! The nurse was very kind, she made me feel comfortable.

After Ford got his three shots, it was Nathan's turn. I was so scared. It was Ford who handled him. Deep inside, I was crying. A baby doesn't deserve any pain. But it's for his good naman.


The little boy cried so hard, to the heartbreak of his mother. Three injections pa ang ginawa. If only I could take the pain for him. Ganun pala talaga ang nanay.

Buti na lang he got easily pacified by the chime. We mentally took note of that. Kailangan pala ng tunog-tunog para ma-pacify ang baby.


I didn't know that children are getting their shots on their legs. My poor little boy was so red.


We were told by the nurse to wait in the lounge for fifteen minutes to see if we experience immediate side effects from our shots. Thankfully, wala naman.

Before I forget, the nurse noticed that our car seat has a 'wrapped' blanket. She reminded us that we can get a 'ticket' for that kapag nakita kami ng police (ganun pala dito, naniniket ang pulis kahit tungkol sa car seat). Dapat daw walang ibang sapin sa likod ang car seat because it isn't tested for safety yet. Ewan nga daw ba niya kung bakit may nagbebenta pa ng ganun gayung bawal naman.

We find it weird though because the nurse at the Misericordia Hospital who inspected our car seat before we were allowed to go home didn't say anything naman. Oh well, sinunod na lang namin ang nurse sa Jasper. We removed na the blanket. Kailangan nga lang next time ay may jacket na si Nathan kapag nilabas namin.


Our next immunization is scheduled on March 19. Yep, may take two pa ang measles-mumps-rubella vaccination namin ni Ford.

Nathan's Record:


Ford and I's record:


I guess it will be best if we don't travel before Nathan gets all the shots. My original plan is to go home in Pinas this end of March but I realized na importanteng matapos muna lahat ng bakuna ni Nathan (hanggang six months old siya). Alanganin kung sa Pilipinas ko pa ipapatuloy ang bakuna, aside from mahal (I don't want to pay for health services anymore haha!), iba rin kasi ang sistema ng immunization doon. Baka magulo lang.


No comments:

Post a Comment