Friday, January 16, 2015

Pope Francis in Pinas

Pope Francis is now in the Philippines for his 5-day visit. I am happy for my fellowmen, they are having this rare opportunity of seeing him.


I am not a 'devout' Catholic. I studied in a Catholic school from kinder to high school but that school failed to make me to at least attend a mass every Sunday now that I am an adult. I've seen so many practices among our nuns that made me question the Roman Catholic religion. My first course in UP Diliman was Philosophy (then I shifted to Sociology) so imagine how hard I fought the temptation of questioning the existence of God.

Anyway, I may not be the Catholic who attends mass on Sundays but I still am a believer. That is why I am envious now of people who were able to catch a glimpse of the Pope. I like Pope Francis (who doesn't?). I like his aura, so kind and holy. I was in only in Grade 5 when Pope John Paul came to Manila for the World Youth Day. Only a few students (the coniotic ones haha) from our school was chosen to attend the event and I was so bitter. I wanted to see the Pope too, I told myself. But what can I do, I was only an 11-year-old poor girl who wasn't 'special' enough to be chosen.

I am now 35 and had I been in the Philippines, no one could stop me in seeing the Pope. But I am not there.

Oh well, if there's any consolation, I guess we can just go to Rome someday and attend his mass. A long life for Pope Francis is what I'll be wishing so we can still have the chance to see him.



No comments:

Post a Comment