Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Eve 2014

A non-traditional new year's eve celebration. That's exactly how I would describe what happened to us last December 31, 2013.

Except for our 13 fruits and one giant round coin-like chocolate,our night can hardly be called a 'celebration' at all (in my standards haha!).

I don't eat fruits (except bananas) so The Husband has no choice but to finish all these!

Bought last minute @ Dollarama 
I originally planned on having a bonggang bonggang media noche because it was our first new year together here in Canada but I changed my mind. Again, we are still living in a very small studio-type apartment with an equally minute kitchen so food preparation is kinda difficult. I've experienced it last Christmas eve. Also, because we lack dining stuff, I will only end up using the same table mat, plates, flatwares, etc. which I do not like. I am not fond of repetitions, especially when I'm posting pictures online haha!

At first I told Ford we'll just do take-out. I realized though that washing the dishes is more difficult when you're full so what the heck, we better just eat at the Chinese restaurant across our building. Ford learned that it will be open until 11pm of that night.

Oops, before I forget, Ford had to go to work that day (December 31 is not a holiday here) and he was only able to go home past 2pm. Then we left the house to meet with Modz, Ford's distant relative, who was stopping by here in Edmonton Red Arrow Bus Terminal (from Calgary) for 1 1/2 hours before proceeding to Fort McMurray. We took him to City Centre Mall to for snacks.


Going back, after Facetiming with my in-laws (Mama, Daddy, and Cil Cil) who live in California, we put on our coats again and walked toward Urban China. It was a very chilly night, -22 if I remember.


We've always wanted to try this restaurant kasi ito ang bumubungad na view sa window namin. Araw-araw naming nasisilayan. As compared to other Chinese restaurants around our area, medyo high end ito ng konti.


There were quite a few Chinese diners. Siguro nga wala lang sa kanila ang new year. Sabagay, may Chinese New Year naman silang sine-celebrate.

To give you an idea of how 'big' our toonie chocolate was, here it is..


We were both starving but then the drawback of having only a party of two is that you cannot order much. Chinese restaurants here are big on servings so be ready for left-overs.

So here's our new year eve's dinner...

Wonton soup 


Special fried rice


Sweet and Sour Pork


Chicken Hot Pot


The food were good albeit quite pricey. Pabayaan na nga, new year naman.

When eating in Chinese restaurants, I always look forward to these fortune cookies. It adds fun to one's dining experience, right?


My fortune was a blah. It read: "Getting away for the weekend will help clear your mind."


It's Ford's fortune that was interesting. I wish I had his! Haha!


He said this fortune was so appropriate. When I asked him why, he answered: "Haler, Ethan Allen!"

Oo nga noh! We'll be moving to our new home by the end of January and we've started buying house things (like an Ethan Allen bed) already. So yun pala ang luxury ni Pod haha!

selfie selfie!
We wanted to watch the fireworks display in the City Hall area but it was so freaking cold. I don't think I can take it.



When we reached our apartment, Pod immediately took a bath, said good night to be, and laid down on bed. It was only 11:15. I hysterically asked him: "What, matutulog ka na??? Hindi pa nga 12 noh!"

He reasoned that he's already tired and sleepy. Hay, I couldn't blame him. He woke up very early to go to work.

I stayed a bit longer in front of the laptop, enviously clicking the celebrations done by family and friends. I couldn't help but wish that I am in the Philippines that very moment. I missed my family, my Nanay's usual media noche handa, the fireworks (we're from Bulacan!), and all the noise and merriment in the Philippines.

My only consolation was that I am already with Ford. I finally gave in to bed at around 11:45pm. Di ko na rin inantay ang midnight. Haha, the irony is that I always sleep at 3-5am everyday but on new year's eve, I slept before 12am. Kakaiba talaga.

Oh well, it's a new year. I guess I should stop being sentimental and start living a real life here. I won't be living in the Philippines anymore and THAT'S A FACT. I have to go forward. I better get used to the "new normal."

I am aspiring to become more positive this new year. I know I can.

Happy new year, everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment