Thursday, January 9, 2014

What a long Thursday night!

Ford picked me up at around 5:40pm this early evening and we headed to Westmount to get that most dreadful flu shot. Last November ko pa gustong magpa-vaccinate pero umatras ako dahil takot talaga ako sa injection. But with the latest news that many Albertans are getting the H1N1 flu strain (and at least 10 have died already), I panicked. I don't want to get sick. I told Ford we have to get immunized.

Too bad na sobrang haba ng pila kanina sa clinic. As in the longest line I've seen here in Edmonton! It was past 6pm already so we decided not to queue anymore. I've heard that they are running out of flu vaccines already. Alberta Health has been offering this flu shot since October 2013 yata pero ngayon lang dumagsa ang tao. Very few Albertans availed the flu shots before. Ngayon dahil sa takot, ayan talagang pumipila na.

Di bale, I am sure the government will do something about it. Hope makapagpasaksak na rin kami ni Ford soon.


Our next stop was at Pier 1 Imports in the north area. I've browsed their website and I found so many interesting house items, particularly accent chairs.

I like the feel of the store, sari-sari eh. It reminded me of Regalong Pambahay in Pinas. There are so many decorative pieces. Babalik ako doon definitely pag kailangan ko na ng abubot sa bahay.

Hay, if only their chairs are less expensive, andami ko na sanang nabili! I am into accent chairs nowadays, ewan ko nga ba.

This chair costs $700+! Ford asked me if I want it, I said yes. But I do not want its price noh! Bye bye, chair!


This one is a bit cheaper. $284 if I remember correctly. This would look perfect on our guest room kaso sobrang mahal pa rin talaga.


But I won't give up. I will have nice chairs at home PERIOD. Hanap hanap uli ng ibang stores.

And since we are already in the north area, we ended up having lunch at Beijing House again. Kakakain lang din namin dito last January 1 kasama si Ate June.


When you're hungry, better na talaga mag-buffet dito. We paid a total of $36.85 (with tip na yan ha) and we were so full. I remember us paying $38+ at a Pinoy restaurant na dalawa lang ang ulam (na hindi pa masarap).


At dahil busog, we of course wanted to go home immediately (the hubby had to do some 'releasing' lol!). But we were surprised when we saw lots of firetrucks near our building.

Ford instantly said: "Nakow, malamang sa building natin yan!" I got so worried, inalala ko kung naiwan ko bang bukas ang kalan or something. Nang matapat kami sa building, we looked up on the 12th floor, mukhang tahimik naman yung unit namin kaya nakahinga na kami.


We parked near our building and observed. Mukhang di pa rin naga-alisan ang bumbero kaya sinabi ko kay Ford lumapit na kami. I hate the idea of not knowing things, especially if it concerns me/us.

Bumaba si Ford ng sasakyan at medyo lumapit. I was waiting for some news pero mukhang wala siyang balak magtanong. Bumaba na rin ako at sakto nakita kong bitbit bitbit ng isang fireman/security ang isang babaeng tenant na nagpupumiglas. Ayaw yatang mag-evacuate sa building so she was carried in her pyjamas!

I approached one Security and asked what happened. He said there's fire in the dumpster area. Again, I was relieved. At least malayo sa unit namin. We were worried because many of our important documents are there. And aside from cash, nandun din ang engagement and wedding rings namin!

The Security informed me that a bus is coming to keep the tenants warm while waiting for the go signal kung kelan makakapasok sa loob. We are thankful kasi we have our car with us, hindi namin kailangan makipagsiksikan sa bus. Uso pa naman ang flu virus ngayon, nakakatakot. Saka sa totoo lang, marami sa kanila ang may di kaaya-ayang amoy (kaya ko ito Tinatagalog!) kasi tamad na tamad silang maligo pag winter kaloka!


Anyway, Ford suggested that we go to Walmart para magpalipas ng oras. Walmart is open until 11pm so pwede!

It's so difficult to kill time pala in a supermarket. Ayaw na ayaw ko pa naman ng hindi bibili. Hindi ako mahilig magwindow shop. We are still fully stocked so we don't need any.

After 40 minutes of loitering, nag-diet coke and sundae cone na lang kami sa McDonald's.

It was my first time to eat sundae cone here in Edmonton. Mahalaysia din, $1.46 (or approximately Php60.00) siya! Sabagay, lahat naman dito eh mahal kaloka!

Keep calm and eat sundae cone.

We left Walmart at 10pm hoping na makakapasok na kami sa building. Swerte naman at ok na.

Or so we thought.

Akala namin we'll have a good night sleep na when Ford learned that there is no water in the bathroom. Yari! When he asked the Management, ayun 4pm pa raw bukas magkakatubig kasi nadamay pati yung main water line. OMG! A day without water!

I panicked immediately! How can we survive without water??? That's one of my daily fears, ang mawalan ng tubig dito. Unlike in Pinas na maraming kapitbahay o kamag-anak na mahihingan ng tubig o mapagpapaliguan, dito wala. Kaming dalawa lang dito eh. It was so frustrating! And how will Ford go to work? Hindi pa naman yun sanay ng hindi naliligo twice a day.

The hubby sounded desperate too. He suggested that we go to the nearby motel. I refused, saying that aside from it being so magastos, how the hell will I check out if he's at work? Hassle pa magpack tapos sandali lang din dun. Sana kung parang motels sa Pinas na 24-hour ang system, kung 11pm ka magchecheck-in, kinabukasan ng gabi ka pa rin pwedeng lumabas. Yun ang sulit.

Ang sabi ko makiligo na lang siya kay Ate June pero ayaw naman niya. Thankfully, he was able to google (yep, we rely on google all the time) a "Truck Stop" near his office where he can take a bath. He called and was informed that it'll cost 8+ bucks. Not bad. Hay, problem solved!

Now ako na lang ang problema. How can I survive the day? The good news was that meron daw water tank or truck sa baba where we can get water. Pero wala naman kaming maraming container. We only have one small pail and two empty 10L distilled water container. Pwede na rin kesa wala.

So there, nag-igib si Ford at 11pm!

A PEng's life -- taga-igib! 
Ford was worried for my lunch tomorrow. Haler, I can cook and eat with minimal water. Sakto na ang naigib niyang tubig, titipirin ko na lang. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that water will be back by 4pm tomorrow. Or else yari na talaga.

Hay it was such a long night. I called Mamoosh and relayed to her this night's incident.

I am tired but I don't wanna sleep yet. I want to wake up late tomorrow (since Ford won't be having lunch here of course) para di ko maramdaman ang kawalan ng tubig bukas. Sana meron na paggising ko.

No comments:

Post a Comment