Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A little help from afar

I've been here in Edmonton for exactly a week now and I still haven't blogged. I originally planned on chronicling my day-to-day activities and taking lots of pictures but the sad news about my home country, the Philippines, hindered me to do so.

I do not have the heart to broadcast a 'wonderful' new life here in Canada knowing that many of my countrymen have lost their homes due to Typhoon Yolanda and are now starving to death. That destructive typhoon attacked the Philippines just a few days after I left.

I am so disheartened.

Kawawa naman ang Pilipinas. Bugbog na bugbog na.

We live in Luzon and our home was fortunately spared by Yolanda's wrath. But still, I am saddened heavily by this tragedy. Ganito pala kapag malayo ka na sa bansa mo, mas minamahal mo ito. Corny pero totoo.

Just like most of Pinoys all over the world, Ford and I wanted to help. Had I been home, I could have sorted all our clothes, bought canned goods and water, and/or volunteered. But since we are not, all we can do is donate a little cash through a good foundation.

So many organizations have committed in helping the victims of Typhoon Yolanda. Our first impulse was to donate to the Philippine Red Cross but as we search and search, we came across the website of UNICEF Canada.



We decided to coarse our donation through them because of this:


To add, Ford can even claim a tax credit for it. Not bad at all.

We couldn't afford to shell out a huge amount at this point but we are hoping that what we've given can at least feed several families for a day.


We Filipinos only need one thing during this trying time: TRUST. Trust that no likes of Napoleses can steal from funds that are supposed to aid the victims, trust that those who need help would receive it the soonest possible time, and trust that everything will soon be okay.

Bangon, Pilipinas!

No comments:

Post a Comment