Sunday, November 24, 2013

A visit to Empanada Convenience Store

There are two giant Asian supermarket chains here in Edmonton  (Lucky Supermarket and T&T Supermarket) and we buy most of our grocery items there. Around 80% perhaps.

However, this afternoon, I was so depressed with my flaky and dry skin that I told the Hubby I want a Safeguard soap. Believe me, I've tried so many "imported" (i.e. not Philippine brand) soaps in my lifetime and nothing beats Safeguard. I suddenly remembered my bestie Raxie who started working in Kuala Lumpur in 2007. The first time I visited her, she requested for Safeguard too!

Anyway, I have not seen any Philippine soap in Lucky and T&T Supermarkets so I thought of looking for Safeguard at 'smaller' Filipino stores. I googled and quite a few stores appeared. But since we were going to West Edmonton Mall, I chose the Empanada Convenience Store which was just along the way.

Ford already knew where it is located. I think he's been there once or twice.

The store looked small on the outside but it was quite spacious inside.


The moment I entered the store, I felt happy! At last, a place filled with familiar products!


More Pinoy grocery items of course can be found here than in Lucky or T&T.


In my opinion, better buy your condiments here. Mas marami.



Ford was so happy to have found Del Monte Spaghetti noodles. We cooked Pinoy spaghetti at home a couple of days ago but we were disappointed with the noodles eh. Though Del Monte costs more, sulit naman because it jives with our Filipino taste.






Ahhh! I am a certified junk lover and though I love Ruffles, Lay's, Chips Ahoy!, and other "imported" chocolates, I also love local Pinoy chichiryas syempre!






And I was so excited to discover that they sell Royal Tru-Orange! It was only when I was about to migrate that I learned that Royal is exclusively a Philippine product. Akala ko kasi parang Coke or Sprite siya, universal.


Ford loves adobong mani! We had to get a pack kahit mahal.


And we of course we also had to buy their "famous" empanada. Kaya nga Empanada Store eh.


Other than grocery items, Empanada Convenience Store also have frozen products. Sana lang may Purefoods Tender Juicy Hotdogs noh? Ba't ba kasi bawal magpasok ng karne sa Canada mula sa Pilipinas.




Finally, Filipino toiletries! I wanted to grab all the Safeguard soaps kaso $3.25 + 5% tax = $3.41 (or Php140.00) ang isa. Shaiks! Dalawa na lang muna. Right there and then, I instructed my husband never to use MY soap. Akin lang ang Safeguard lol!



Empanada Convenience Store also sells ready to eat Filipino snacks and delicacies such as pancit palabok, sapin-sapin, leche flan, pandesal, etc. I wasn't able to take pictures though for fear that their staff might see me. I am new here in Edmonton and I am not if it is okay with store owners if I take pictures of their commodities.

Anyway, we only bought a few items because our pantry is still fully stocked. We just did some grocery shopping last Friday eh. But we'll surely be back at Empanada soon!


Now my next project would be to compare the prices of  Filipino grocery items in different stores. Para alam ko kung saan ako makakatipid.

But honestly, even if the price is a bit higher in small Filipino stores, I think I would still prefer to buy from them. To quote one person who reviewed this store at Yelp:

"In these days of big box stores and major chains, it is a miracle that Emapanada has survived."

We Filipinos living abroad need to support our "own" stores because these serve as an extension of our homes. Dito Pinoy ang nagtitinda at karamihang Pinoy lang ang namimili -- so para ka na ring nasa Pinas. The familiar is so comforting.

Migrants today are lucky because despite being thousands of miles away from the Philippines, they still get to feel and taste a bit of 'home' through the available Filipino products in the market. I am keeping my hopes up that with the cheaper shipping costs nowadays (dahil na rin sa competition), mas magiging affordable pa ang mga comfort items natin. =)


----------------------------------------------
Empanada Convenience Store
8746 149 St. NW, Edmonton, AB T5R 1B6
(780) 988-1124
Store Hours: 10am-8pm DAILY

No comments:

Post a Comment