Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Friday Night = Chicharon Night

The first time I came here in Canada (and that was June last year), the Immigration Officer at Vancouver Airport asked me if I brought some corned beef and chicharon (yep, she prounounced it with a slang!) with me. Knowing that we are not allowed to bring anything meat or with meat in this country, I confidently said no.

Filipinos have obviously become notorious in bringing in these two goods here in Canada. Although I understand that we want to take a part of 'home' with us when we go to another country, my stand is that we should put premium in FOLLOWING the rules of the society we are heading to. Tayo ang maga-adjust, hindi sila. And don't ever argue that you are not aware of what the rules are, it's your task to know.

Anyway, Pinoy chicharon lovers in Canada need not worry because supermarkets and grocery stores here also sell chicharon! Yep, even Walmart! Hindi nga lang gawang Pinas pero ok na rin, kasing-lasa rin naman.

More Pinoy-looking chicharons can of course be found in smaller Filipino stores. In fact, we discovered so many chicharon variety at Empanada Convenience Store last Sunday but we have yet to try them.

We bought this particular pack at Lucky 97 Supermarket. It costs $3.14 (tax included) or around Php129.00. Not bad huh.


Anyway, last Friday (November 22) was "chicharon night." We were not able to prepare something nice for dinner because I asked Ford during lunch time to drop me of at West Edmonton Mall so I can window shop for the rest of the afternoon. He then picked me up after work and we just had some Chinese meal at T&T Supermarket.

When we got home, we tried the Hangouts apps and (video) called my bestie Raxie who's currently based in Kuala Lumpur. It was already Saturday morning there so she was available for some online kulitan.

We deliberately munched chicharon (dipped in sukang maasim with sili)  in 'front' of her to tease her. Malaysia is a Muslim country kaya deprived ang kaibigan ko sa chicharon hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment