Thursday, November 28, 2013

From Edmonton with love

When you're a new immigrant, even the most mundane thing like sending a mail can result to some feelings of insecurity. Ahhhmm, paano nga ba uli maghulog ng sulat sa post office?

I've lived in the Philippines for 34 years and I, of course, have mastered the art of living there. Here, I'm like a child... I need to be socialized in every aspect of Canadian/ Edmontonian culture.

Anyway, Christmas is fast approaching so I decided to rekindle my love of sending greeting cards. Ford and I are so far far away from our family and friends so we really wanted to keep in touch. Sa panahon ngayon ng email,  Facebook at Instagram, I know many of our loved ones will still appreciate a tangible Christmas card.

It's still November but Ford reminded me to finish the ones we'll be sending to the Philippines, UAE, and Malaysia. Hay, medyo late na nga yata ang cards namin. Sana umabot sa Pasko.

Canada Post Offices are conveniently located in malls and pharmacies all over the city. For local mailing, you can buy stamps and just drop your letters at designated drop off areas.

There's a post office in West Edmonton Mall and we went there after Pod's work. I loved the idea that you can send mails up until 9pm. Sa Pilipinas kasi hanggang 5pm lang.


The post office shares a stall with a mini store. It's complete with any mailing paraphernalia that you might need - envelopes, boxes, pens, tapes, etc.

Edmonton postcards are also available there.



An elderly woman man the office. Isa pa ito sa gusto ko sa Canada, pwede kang magtrabaho kahit na ano pa ang edad mo basta kaya mo.



After receiving Pod's payment, the lady gave us the "Air Mail" stickers. Then the stamps. Self-service mode, sulat mo - dikit mo!


I enjoyed putting in the stickers and stamps onto the envelopes. Sana may ganung career, tagadikit lang.

I also noticed na stickers ang stamps nila. Hindi na kailangang dilaan para dumikit hehe!


The first batch of the Christmas cards we're sending.


From Edmonton with love!


We sent ten cards for this batch. I realized though that sending snail mail nowadays is no longer cheap. Or cheapskate lang talaga ako?

A stamp for each international mail costs $1.85 + 5% tax = $1.94 or around Php80.00. Whew!


I am keeping my fingers crossed that all these letters will land in the hands of their respective intended recipients before the year ends. I have no problem with the efficiency of Canada Post, sa Philpost ako diskumpiyado.

No comments:

Post a Comment