Friday, October 17, 2014

The Laundry-Iron Dad

I am such a futile mother-to-be. I feel like all I ever did was to carry this baby -- nothing more. If I am to summarize all our efforts for Baby Chicklet, no doubt that my husband will win.

"We" finally were able to wash all the baby clothes and linen last Sunday. Oh well, Ford did. I actually have a confession to make. In my almost one year of living here in Edmonton, I've never done the laundry. Heck, I don't even know how to operate our washing machine and dryer!

I have a perfect excuse though. I AM PREGNANT! Our laundry area is located in the basement and it is hard for me to go down (and up) with the heavy hamper. Ooops, but who am I kidding? Just like what my mother says: "Tamad ka lang." Sige na nga, talagang hindi lang ako naglalaba siguro. Lalo na sa Pinas, NEVER akong naglaba ng mga damit ko. I blame Mamoosh - she spoiled me.

But I swear, when Baby Chicklet is here, I WILL. I don't think I have a choice. Sana lang turuan na ako ni Pod gumamit ng hi-tech washing machine niya.


Anyway, after laundry, the martyr husband transformed into IRON MAN naman. I actually "volunteered" to iron but he obviously knows me already. Siguro nandito na si Chicklet eh hindi ko pa natatapos plantsahin ang mga dapat plantsahin. Eh kasi naman, palaging masakit ang tiyan ko (excuses excuses!).

We actually never iron our clothes. Hindi naman uso dito. Ford goes to the office in casual wear so hindi talaga kailangan mamlantsa. But a lot of people advised us (utos din ni Mamoosh) that we iron the baby's clothes and blankets. Para hindi daw lukot at patay ang mikrobyo. Ganun pala yun. I thought sanitizing them in the dryer is enough.

Ford bought a little ironing board at Walmart that afternoon and used his old flat iron.

BIM -- Ba't ang liit ng binili mong ironing board?
POD -- Pwede na yan. Ten dollars lang. Maliit lang naman ang mga damit ni Chicklet.

BIM -- Sus, hirap kayang gamitin niyan.
POD -- Hindi noh. Ipapatong ko na lang. 


After ironing one blanket, he gave up. He returned the tiny ironing board at Walmart and replaced it with a big one that costs thirty dollars. Haha, nagpaka-Ilokano pa kasi. I was surprised though that Walmart still allowed the board to be returned. Sira na kasi ang packaging at nabasa pa.

POD -- Haler, nasa Canada ka noh. Consumer protection ang tawag dyan. Saka ang yaman-yaman ng Walmart!

Fine.

Ford also bought a new flat iron kasi nga tumutulo na yung luma niya. Tsk, ang gastos ni Chicklet!

Ford, the Iron Dad
I was very impressed with my husband's ironing skills. Unlike me, alam niya talaga kung paano. When he was working in California kasi, medyo pormal ang pamasok niya (i.e. slacks and polo) so he had to iron his clothes talaga. Eh ako, what do I know? NADA.

--

I have no idea on until when "we" would/should be ironing baby's clothes. May nagsabi na hanggang six months daw si Baby. For my mother, forever daw (she's an OC!). Oh well, let's see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment