Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Get well, Amang... =(

My 90-year old grandfather Amang (in the Philippines) is in the hospital again. I heard he's been asking for me and I feel awful not being by his side during this time that he needs his family the most.

Picture taken from Tita Lulu Cera-Garcia's Facebook account

Seven of his eight children are living in North America and couldn't be with him as well. It is only my father who 'takes care' of him now. My mother and brother, because of some conflict with my father, could not even visit him. Tsk, he's very close pa naman to Mamoosh and has been constantly looking for her.

 Amang actually is an American citizen but he preferred to spend the last years of his life in Malolos. With no one to really take care of him in the US (because everybody's working), he felt better staying in Pinas with Boying and Neng (a longtime helper of the family) as his sole companions.

Getting sick in the Philippines is so difficult especially for the elderly. The costs of hospitalization alone is so difficult to bear. It is sad because not all his children are willing to shell out money for his health needs. Majority are dedma talaga, nakaka-disappoint. I know that life here in North America is not exactly a bed of roses but there are expenses that we cannot avoid and should do something about. One of them is the care for your father. If only I am working, I won't hesitate to regularly send some money for him, if only to make his remaining days comfortable.

My grandfather is a fighter. He's got a very good disposition. He's got cancer and was given six months to live a decade ago but look at him now, still alive and smiling. But of course, at almost 91, his body is deteriorating.

I just wish that he could "wait" for me. If anything happens to him now, I cannot go home. I want him to still see Baby Chicklet. Please get well, Amang. We love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment