Thursday, October 23, 2014

The parents-in-law are here!

When people learned that I am pregnant, most of them asked me: "Eh di pupunta ang nanay mo sa Canada kapag manganganak ka na?"

Sadly, my mother couldn't come for a variety of reasons:
  • She is still very busy in the Philippines co-managing our family business. Our operations will be paralyzed without her. 
  • She isn't exactly in a perfect state of health. At 68, she's diabetic and hypertensive. Mahirap na kasi baka dito pa siya abutan ng matinding sakit. 
  • Edmonton is too far away from the Philippines. She couldn't possibly travel alone (as no one can accompany her).
I know that I need my mother the most during this time but I understand. Often, when we talk on Facetime or Magic Jack, she would tell me to just go home (in the Philippines). But we both know that I couldn't. Ford and I are just Canadian Permanent Residents and if I give birth in Pinas, we still need to sponsor the baby to be able to bring him back to Edmonton. That can take months or even a year. Also, we are talking about the child's future here. Citizenship is the keyword. 

Another thing, Canada has a very good health care system and giving birth here is "free" (well, not really free because we pay taxes). We don't have to worry about spending anything, especially if something not right happens to me or to the baby (wag naman po sana). 

I really miss my Mamoosh. She, of all people understands, what I am going through. She's the only person who can comfort me best, give the care I need. But what I can do, I "chose" to live far away from her.

-------------

I am happy though that Ford's parents, who are American citizens and are based in California, volunteered to come over to help us in these challenging weeks of my pregnancy and upcoming childbirth. It's good that they are just a three-hour plane ride away and there's no need to apply for a Canadian tourist visa. They can come here anytime. They are also very excited cuddle a grandchild (they already have one -- Baby Ysabelle -- but they haven't personally seen her yet because she's in the Philippines) so I know that Baby Chicklet will be adored by them. 

I admit that I know nothing (as in absolutely nothing) in taking care of a child so it's comforting that Pod and I won't be "alone" during the first weeks of our son's life. 

Daddy and Mama arrived last Tuesday (October 21) and will be staying with us until Dec. 2. Of course they can still extend if we request them too.

October 22, 2014 - Lucky Supermarket
I am used to their presence actually. They already visited us last January-February (for three weeks, if I remember correctly) so I knew how they are at home. I feel more comfortable with them now. Sa una kasi siyempre nakakaaasiwa na makasama nang matagal sa isang bahay ang mga biyenan, especially since hindi naman ako domesticated na tao. I have so many flaws (haha) which I am afraid they'll find out. But Daddy and Mama are both nice and kind and non-judgmental. And they cook well, too! It's a breeze living with them.

I am so grateful because now I don't have to worry about our meals haha! They even do the dishes na rin kasi talagang masakit na ang tiyan ko palagi and I am afraid to move. Ang sarap. I can go into labor anytime now because I have companions na kahit nasa office si Ford.

Thank you Daddy and Mama for coming over to help us out. We can't thank you enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment