Monday, September 29, 2014

No baby shower for Chicklet

Two people had mentioned "baby shower" to me in three days.

First was my aunt who lives in Vancouver. She's very excited for my baby and regrets that they are too far away (about 13-hour drive) to give me a baby shower. It's her thing eh, she loves cooking and decorating, and throwing parties.

And just yesterday, a "new" friend who came over our house to look at it (they want to buy a townhouse din here in our area) saw some of the baby stuff we bought and commented: "Ay sayang, sana hindi muna kayo bumili. Baka may magregalo niyan sa baby shower." She's just given birth 7 months ago and she's had a nice baby shower. I simply answered her: "Haha, sino naman ang magpapa-shower sakin dito?"

Actually, the thought that I won't be having a baby shower here in Canada started a couple of weeks ago when we went to Dollar Tree. They are selling so many cute baby shower stuff and I realized that nobody here in Edmonton would throw a shower for my Chicklet.




I felt a sad, honestly. Aside from a couple of new friends that we've recently met, it's just me and my husband who are living here. I don't work so I have no co-workers who'll party with me. Again, there were times I wished that I am in the Philippines during my pregnancy. There, I have friends and relatives who'll make me feel special and loved. I am sure I'll have a fabulous baby party there if I want to.

But I choose not to dwell on the negative. A party is just for a few hours, I keep on reminding myself. I have to focus on the good side of giving birth here - that is, I'll have a Canadian baby who will reap all the perks of first world living. That's more important than a party, right?

I also reminded myself that a baby shower is a western thing. In the Philippines, hindi naman talaga uso yan simply because we have baptismal parties where the baby receives so much gifts. Redundant na kapag nagpa-baby shower ka pa. Chicklet will be baptized in Pinas so iyon na lang ang party na paplanuhin at ilu-look forward ko.

They say we can't have everything and that is true. I am glad though that even without a baby shower party, our baby will have everything he needs when he finally shows up. Thanks to my hardworking husband!



1 comment:

  1. It's touching to see the genuine excitement and care from your aunt and friend, even if distance makes a baby shower challenging. Your reflections on the absence of a local baby shower in Canada resonate with the realities many face. On a related note, I came across a helpful article on when to send out baby shower invites, which might offer insights for different celebration ideas or timing.

    ReplyDelete