Monday, March 8, 2021

First step towards driving here in Canada

A lot of people ask me why I don't drive here in Canada (since I am driving naman in Pinas) and here are the reasons I would normally give:

  • I don't need to drive since I am "just" a stay-at-home mom (Where will I go? Nathan rides the school bus to and from school)
  • Our car is manual transmission and I only know how to drive automatic
  • The moment I get a driver's license, our car insurance will automatically go up with the assumption that I will use it (even if I won't since it's manual)
  •  For me to be able to drive here, we need to buy a new car (gastos!) and the cost of insurance will cost an arm and leg.
  • The husband is really masipag in driving so I have no problem with mobility
  • I am naturally a tamad driver (I won't drive if there's someone who will drive for me) 

Seven years! I've lived here in Canada for more than seven years and it is only recently that I had the urge to drive. Medyo naiinggit na rin kasi ako sa new-found friends/amigas ko (haha!). Plus Nathan's asking me na rin kung kelan ako kukuha ng license so I can bring him to school sometimes (naiinggit din siguro sa classmates). Ford's also decided na to buy a new car kaya may magagamit na ako. We'll be selling our old car Subaru since hindi na rin naman gaanong nagagamit (Ford's been given a company car). Nanghihinayang talaga ako kasi kung automatic lang yun, matagal na rin siguro akong nagda-drive dito.

Anyway, the plan of driving here was just a plan until I accidentally watched a youtube video about a fellow housewife who suddenly lost her husband last December. As she was totally dependent on him, ang hirap talaga. Ni hindi siya marunong mag-drive!

Shaiks, the story of my life! The seven past years, naging totally dependent din ako sa asawa ko! To the point na pati driving nga na ginagawa ko since I was 18 eh "kinalimutan" ko na. Narealize ko na paano na nga kung may mangyari? Kawawa talaga ako pag nagkataon.

That very night of February 25, 2021, ayan nag-book na kami ng knowledge test sa ICBC! Sa May 15, 2021 pa ang test schedule but at least meron na.

After I pass the test, pwede na raw akong magdrive basta may under supervision of a qualified driver (i.e. my husband). Bigla akong na-excite! After practicing, Ford will enroll me daw in a driving school para mas maging prepared ako sa road test.

I just wish that ICBC accepts my driving experience in the Philippines kahit na more than 7 years na nga ako dito. I will argue na lang na umuuwi naman ako sa Pinas every year (except last year because of Covid) and I still drive there. In fact, I still have a valid driver's license (which will expire nga lang this August 2021). Naku goodluck talaga sa akin!

It might take several road tests bago ako makapasa. Normal naman yun dito kaya I am not expecting na makakakuha ako kaagad ng driver's license sa first try. Natataranta pa naman ako kapag may nagge-grade sa akin (sino bang hindi?). Pero I will keep on trying. First step ko rin kasi yan towards independence. Kapag nagda-drive na ako, there's a better chance na makahanap ako ng part-time job. May option na rin ako na makapag-aral uli sa actual school dito. Kaloka ang daming plans! I am keeping the faith. 

I'll update you sa susunod the driving adventures ko. Ciao! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment