Friday, July 25, 2014

That sense of powerlessness

One of the things I love in living here in Canada is the 'free health care.' Coming from a country where hospitalization and unforeseen medical needs can drain all your resources, this is like a dream come true.

I first experienced my free medical privilege in December 2013, just barely a month after I immigrated In this country. As an Alberta resident, I was entitled to free medical services the moment I landed here (unlike in other provinces where you have to wait for three months). I remember having so many blood tests (which are expensive) and even an ultrasound because I had some 'abdominal' issues.

I never felt guilty though about using Canadian resources that early because my husband has been paying so much taxes since 2010. He's never availed any medical care so far, so I told him, "at least nakabawi ka sa akin." 

The experience of going to a clinic or a laboratory without having to pay anything was truly awesome.

Chicklet @ 23 weeks and 3 days
But now that I am pregnant, I realized that socialized health care has drawbacks too.

Inasmuch as I am thankful that I will be giving birth in a huge hospital for free, I couldn't help but think that I would have had an easier pregnancy had I been in the Philippines. Evidently, their medical approach here is very much different from what I got used to back home.

This is my first pregnancy and I am naturally scared. I have so many questions in mind that needed answers. I constantly long for assurances that me and the baby are okay. But I couldn't get that here.

You see, doctors here do not "baby" their clients. And because there is no abundance of medical practitioners here, they are always in a rush. Or could it be because we are not paying their fees directly? Everything is being done on appointment system. You can't just pop in the doctor's clinic if you have some pregnancy concerns. Just visit the ever-reliable google if you are in despair.

I am 24 weeks and 1 day as of this writing and I want to have another ultrasound. The last one I had was on June 12 and I had severe colds after that. I am even suffering from phlegm (in the throat) until now. I last saw my OB-GYNE last July 7 and when I told her about my colds and phlegm, it's as if she's heard nothing. I finally asked her about the schedule of my next ultrasound and she said it will be done on my 32nd week. Whoaah, that would be 10 weeks away from that day.

I honestly felt so powerless. Without her referral, I won't be able to have an ultrasound. I want to see my baby badly. I want to be assured that he's doing fine because I've been experiencing tummy pain the past weeks (due to constant coughing and hacking). Oh how I wish I am in Pinas during these times!

In our country, I can get a check-up anytime. I can even SMS my doctor if I have urgent concerns! And my bestcousin is a radiologist who can conduct an ultrasound test on me any day I want. Modesty aside, we are not exactly poor in the Philippines so we can afford to pay for medical services. I can even give birth to the most expensive hospital there. No doubt, I would have a smoother and calmer pregnancy if I am in my home country.

I am not saying that medical care in the Philippines is better (if you have money, that is). I guess it just takes time getting used to a different system.


-------------------------------

NOTE: I will be writing my more detailed medical experience here in Edmonton after giving birth.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Im Grace Eugenio, I would like to refer to you my sister's family doctor, based on my experience aand sa nakikita ko, he is so mabait sa mga client nya, even sa bata, super tyaga sya, not like yung other doctor na, laging nag mamamdali. He is also the doctor give birth to my sister and his best friend, in Royal Alexandra Hospital. The doctor is DR ADHIKAR GOKUL Callingwood Crossing Medical Clinic 6905-172 Street Edmonton Alberta, T5T5Y1 tel # 780 444 0350 , Para ka rin nasa pinas. I assure super bait sya, Mga staff din dun sa Medical Clinic, puro pinoy at mababait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Wow! Thanks so much, Ms. Grace! I really need a family doctor right now. If only I could switch OBs, I would! But it's kinda too late now I guess. I will definitely look for Dr. Adhikar Gokul this week. Salamat po talaga ha! =)

    ReplyDelete