Saturday, December 13, 2014

The story of Chicklet's birth

My cervix was still closed as of my last OB-GYN check up last November 10, 2014 (Monday). The doctor informed me that I'll already be induced that coming Thursday (November 13) because I have gestational diabetes and we can no longer delay the delivery. She instructed me meet her at the Misericordia Community Hospital before 7am. She's a woman of few words and just told me to wait for a call from the hospital on Thursday morning to know if there are rooms and staff available.

When I met Ford at the reception area (he doesn't go with me on the check-up room) and informed him that I'll be induced in three days, he couldn't help but smile. As in happy smile talaga. Naiinip na kasi talaga siyang makita ang baby. Ako naman, sobrang kabado. Inasmuch as I was excited too, di naman maiwasan na matakot kasi ako ang manganganak.

Sa totoo lang, ang gulo ng instructions ng doktor. Our brief conversation in the clinic went like this:

(After checking my cervix)
Doctor -- Your cervix is still closed. We would have to induce you on Thursday.
Ces -- This coming Thursday?
Doctor -- Yes. I'll meet you at the hospital before 7 in the morning.
Ces -- (Still unfamiliar with induction procedure) Does that mean I'll already give birth on that day?
Doctor -- We don't know. 
Ces -- (Suko na sa pagiging matipid sa salita ng doktor) Ahh ok.
Doctor -- A nurse from the hospital will call you on Thursday to inform you if there's available room and staff. Just wait for their call. I'll see you there. Bye.

Yep, that's it. I wasn't even sure at first if she said "Thursday" tatawag ang nurse. Sabi nya magmeet kami ng umaga ng Thursday, bakit sa Thursday lang din tatawag ang hospital?

I texted my friend Cecil who had already experienced birth induction with that doctor in 2012. Sabi niya talagang sa umaga ng Thursday din tatawag ang hospital. But we have to prepare early because the doctor is very strict.  Fine, talagang aagahan namin.

The day before the induction, I took my last preggy selfie. I was having mixed feelings then. I felt somewhat relieved that I will finally be over with pregnancy (admittedly, being pregnant for nine months is tiring). Yet I also felt a bit of sadness because I will no longer carry Chicklet in my womb. Magkakahiwalay na kami. And I asked myself as well, 'will I miss being pregnant?' This could be my first and last pregnancy kasi. Kung ako talaga ang masusunod, ayaw ko ng magbuntis pa uli. I am contented with Chicklet na eh.


After preparing everything that we have to bring to the hospital, I tried to get some rest. But I wasn't able to really sleep that night. I was anxious, I was nervous. I was scared of giving birth. Duwag talaga ako eh. And I didn't know if I could make it without my mother by my side.

November 13, 2014. I took a shower at around 4am and ate breakfast after. We were ready to leave by 6:00 am. My parents-in-laws woke up early to see us first. They wanted to come but we told them only one companion is allowed. I promised them that Ford will pick them us as soon as I have given birth so they can meet their grandson.

I had to entertain myself on the way to the hospital to kill the nervousness. To warn you, I look BAD in all my pictures here. Puyat kasi at sobrang kabado.


It was a very cold morning. Around -10c siguro. We arrived at the hospital at 6:16 am.


And because it's not 7:00 am yet, we had to go to the emergency entrance. It was then that I received a call from the nurse informing me that I have an 8:00 am schedule for that day. I told her that we were already in the parking lot because the doctor instructed me to meet her there before 7:00 am. Medyo naguluhan siya but since nandoon na nga kami, sinabihan kaming pumunta na sa 3rd floor after registering.


There's a patient registration area at the Emergency entrance and when we told a nurse that I am scheduled for an induction that morning, she put me on a wheelchair while we wait for the admitting staff,

Being on a wheelchair made me more nervous. 'This is it,' I uttered to myself.



Pero nang dumating yung staff, sinabihan kami na sa Main Admitting na lang pumunta since hindi naman kami "emergency" at iba ang procedure sa pag-admit sa mga non-emergency patients. Magbubukas na rin naman daw yun ng 6:45 am.

Then she added:

Staff -- Why are you on wheel chair? 
Ces -- I don't know. The nurse put me here.
Staff -- You don't have to be on the wheel chair. You can just walk going to the main lobby.

Ay ganun naman pala. But how I wished they let me use the wheelchair. I was trembling na kasi as we proceeded to main lobby. Sobrang kabado na.

The registration office was still closed when we reached the main lobby and we had to wait for a few more minutes.


My records were already in their system so registration was fast and easy. I've learned that only two (including me) were scheduled for birth induction that day. I was happy, at least hindi sila busy.

By the way, we were asked about our room preference. I've been hoping and praying for months na sana may available na private room so that Ford does not have to go home at 11pm and leave me alone at the hospital. Ganun kasi sa ward at semi-private rooms.

Thankfully, mukhang meron ngang available noong nag-register kami. Pero hindi pa rin daw sure, we'll only know after kong manganak at kailangan ng dalhin sa room.

According to the staff, a semi-private room costs $96 while a private room costs $120. A theme room naman yata is $200. Yung ward na pang-apatan ang libre.

Our extended insurance (Blue Cross Saskatchewan) only covers a semi-private room. We of course chose a private room, babayaran na lang namin yung $24 differential (which is not bad).


After registering, diretso na kami sa Maternity Unit sa 3rd Floor. Nakatambay lang ang mga nurse sa nurse station, mukhang hindi nga sila busy. When they saw us, inentairtain naman nila kami kaagad.

We were led to one of the birthing rooms and I was asked to undress and just wear the hospital gown. Pagkapasok sa room, I already felt that my husband was uneasy. Haha, kabado na rin. I teased him, sabi ko ang yabang yabang niya dati na siya pa ang puputol sa pusod ni Chicklet pero ayun at iiinduce pa lang ako ay namumutla na siya.

I asked him to just leave the room or hide kapag may gagawin sa akin. Ayoko rin kasi siyang makita, baka manghina rin ako. Gusto kong mga medical professionals na lang ang kaharap ko para hindi ko na problemahin ang asawa ko.

It was still early so we still had to wait for my OB-GYN. They placed an electronic fetal monitor on me (a non-stress test daw) to check on my baby.


They kept on checking my cervix (which was very painful) but it was so stubborn, closed pa rin talaga. At around 7:50 am, my doctor arrived (with two nurses) and checked on my cervix once again. She went out and came back alone at 8:00 and induced me so quickly. She used a cervidil induction on me. Cervidil is a vaginal insert used for starting or continuing cervical opening. It is a small rectangular pouch with a retrieval cord similar to the cord on a tampon.

The procedure was fast but very painful. I was really shouting in pain. My doctor left immediately after that without saying a thing (I told you, she's not that talkative lol!).

After five minutes, a nurse arrived and started to explain to me the procedure that will be done to me. She was shocked when I told her that I've been induced already. Apparently, my doctor didn't inform them and I could sense that she was pissed haha!


They observed me for the next two hours. They asked me to lay by my side. I felt nothing extraordinary.


Then the nurse informed us that we can go home for the mean time. I was hesitant, I wanted to stay in the hospital. Tutal nandun na rin lang naman kami. But the nurse told us that it will be more comfortable for me if I stay home in the next couple of hours since sa bahay may TV, internet, etc. Fine.

We were instructed to return by 8:00 pm that night (12 hours after I got induced). I was also asked to call them by 2:00 pm to report how I am feeling. They advised me to rest well and get some sleep because what will follow is a "very long night."

I asked the nurse if I can eat. A light meal, she replied.


I asked my husband if we can drop by T&T Supermarket (WEM) because I want to eat beef noodles. I wasn't sure kung nagluto din kasi ang mga biyenan ko. They were of course expecting na mag-stay na kami sa hospital hanggang makapanganak ko.


We went home right after eating, to the surprise of my in-laws. I went to bed and tried to rest. But of course, I couldn't sleep. I was terrified.

A little past 2:00 pm, I called the hospital to inform the nurse that I am ok. No extraordinary feeling whatsoever.

After I put the phone down, I went to the bathroom to poop. I was feeling the menstrual-like cramps na. Sa totoo lang, hindi ko ma-identify kung contractions na nga ba yun or what. Basta ang nabasa ko, one might feel the cramps daw after ma-induce. It was beginning to get so painful that I asked Ford to list the time for me -- 2:20 pm.

A few more minutes and I couldn't take it anymore. I told Ford that we have to go back to the hospital asap. I wanted to take a shower pero hindi ko na talaga kaya.

Namimilipit na talaga ako sa sakit on the way to the hospital. Umaatake ang contractions every 2 minutes lang yata. Sobrang sakit na talaga. Sa may emergency entrance na kami dumaan. I couldn't walk anymore so Ford had to get a wheelchair.

I was brought back to the maternity section of the hospital. Around 3pm na yun. Pinahiga ako sa kama, chineck, tinusukan ng morphine. I was expecting to get better because of that morphine pero parang walang epekto. Napakasakit talaga. Walang magawa kahit anong pacify sa akin ng mga nurses.

They made me take the shower. Morphine works better daw with hot shower. I didn't want to pero sige, sinubukan ko. I was in the shower for almost an hour pero mas nahirapan lang ako. Again, no words can describe the pain. Nakalupasay na ako sa shower room. Sabi ko sa nurse ayaw ko na. Sapilitan pa bago ako pinayagan.

They wouldn't want me back in bed kahit nagmamakaawa na ako. It's better daw kung nakaupo ako or naglalakad. I sat but I felt worse. They made me sit on a birthing ball. Again, walang effect. Mas nahirapan lang ako.

I was shouting in pain. Contractions every 2-3 minutes, imagine that. According sa nabasa ko, mas masakit ang contractions kapag ininduce.

For the so many hours that followed, I was crying and shouting. The funny part was that I had to translate pa my emotions in English so that the Caucasian nurses would understand. Instead of "Ang Sakit!", I said "Ouch! Ouch!" or "I can't take it anymore!" or "I'll die!" Lol!

I really can't believe na natiis ko ang ilang oras ng sakit. They can't put the epidural anesthesia yet because my cervix wasn't 4-5cm dilated yet.

At 9:00 pm, my cervix was already "ready" so they called the anesthesiologist. But to my disappointment, the doctor on duty that night was busy in the operating room! They had to call another doctor but he would arrive after 45 minutes pa daw! I wanted to cry harder! Forty-five more minutes of severe pain! I was begging the nurse, baka kako may magagawa pa kahit alam kong wala naman.

Thankfully, the doctor arrived at around 9:30 pm (wala pang 45 minutes). I felt so relieved. Malaking bagay yung ilang minuto na difference talaga eh. He prepared the big injections but I didn't care. Wala ng mas sasakit pa sa nararamdaman ko. Ford went out the room, natakot sa malalaking injections.

The doctor made me sit and warned me na makakailang contractions pa rin ako bago maisaksak ang anesthesia. He reminded me na wag gumalaw or else uulitin ang procedure. Ang problema, makilitiin ako sa likod. I couldn't sit still. Nahirapan talaga ang anethesiologist. Buti na lang mabait at patient yung nurse na nag-assist sa akin.

Mabilis lang pala ang magtake-effect ang anesthesia. Habang ginagawa pa lang yung procedure ay gumiginhawa na ako. After a few minutes, hindi ko na maramdaman ang contractions. "The worst part is over," I told myself.

I lied down on bed and they put the external fetal heart rate monitor again. The nurse then prepared all the paraphernalia needed for my delivery.

At almost 11:00 pm, while I was waiting to go into labor, Dr. Roy (OB-GYNE-in-duty that night) and some nurses came inside to talk to us. She said they've noticed some 'irregularity' on my baby's heart beat. Bumibilis daw ng sobra and they are worried. To double check, they have to insert something (I don't know the term) on my vajayjay that will touch the baby's head na para malaman kung talagang mabilis. If 'positive,' I would have to undergo and emergency C-section daw.

I was speechless. Lahat ng pains na dinanas ko the past hours ay bumalik sa akin. Kung kelan ok na ako saka ako mase-ceasarian?

After a few minutes, the doctor talked to us again. Talagang may problema sa heartbeat so no choice but to have that dreadful C-section. I was worried about the baby though. All along ok naman siya, ba't biglang nagkaproblema? I calmed myself. Nasa hospital na kami so we are safe.

Since it was already past 11:00, I asked the doctor if they could operate on me past midnight na tutal ilang minuto lang naman. Para kako maging November 14 ang birthday ng baby haha! Naisip ko na kasi after kong ma-anesthesia na 14 na talaga ako manganganak. I prefer it than 13 saka mas maganda kung 11-14-14 ang birthday, hindi ba? Parang yung kasal namin - 1-12-12.

But the doctor and the nurses just 'laughed' at me haha! They couldn't risk the baby na raw so kailangan mailabas siya as soon as possible. Di bale, sa ibang Canadian province daw (I forgot kung ano yung sinabi nila), past 12 midnight na kaloka!

To cut the story short, I signed the waiver agreeing for a C-section and they prepared na the operating room. I asked if i could sleep during the procedure (I am so coward) but they said I have to be awake. Pumikit na lang daw ako. Alam ko na rin naman yun kasi nabasa ko na, baka lang lumusot hehe.

A nurse shaved me down there and in a few more minute, they already brought me to the operating room. I was so nervous. Hindi ko na rin makita si Ford noon. We already informed the nurses and the doctor that my husband won't come with us because he is nervous. I just asked them to inform him right after I deliver.

It was my first time na mapasok sa operating room. I was really nervous pero dahil naka-anesthesia na ako, kalmado na rin kahit papano. Saka the most painful part was over, I wanted to see my son na rin.

I closed my eyes the whole time. Dinagdagan nila ang anesthesia ko. Wala talaga akong naramdaman, naririnig ko lang na mga salita ng doctor and nurses.

At 11:41pm, lumabas na si Nathan. All I could hear was his loud cries. Nakakaloka, 'eskandalosong bata' sabi ko sa sarili ko haha! I was very happy kasi wala akong narinig na ano mang problema o concern. Just "Oh he's so cute!" The nurses were genuinely excited. Siya lang daw kasi ang pinanganak nila that day.

After siyang linisan, he was brought to me. I wanted to touch him pero hindi ko magalaw ang kamay ko kasi nagna-numb dahil sa pagkakadipa sa operating table. A nurse told me na parang may urine na yata so they had to suck it first before they made him cry.

I was so happy and thankful! Yehey, nakaraos na ako! And my baby looked "normal"! Pero masyado lang siyang kulay red talaga haha!

Dr. Roy and a nurse continued in 'closing' me while I was wondering kung nasaan na ang asawa ko. Gusto kong makita niya agad si Chicklet! Naisip ko din na sayang, walang picture si Chicklet habang pinapanganak ko.

The entire C-section only took around 30 minutes. Then I was brought to the recovery room. I asked the nurse to look for my husband.

And so, here's Nathan's first ever picture! He was so tiny and so cute!


I looked so ugly, I know! Mag-contractions ka ba naman ng pitong oras.


My husband couldn't say anything when he saw his son. Medyo nasha-shy pa nga siyang lumapit haha! But he was very happy and proud, I could see it in his eyes. Ayaw lang masyadong magpakita ng emosyon haha!


After around thirty minutes, I was brought into my room na. I was so thirsty, buti na lang may nakaready na na iced water. After I was settled, I called my Mamoosh and informed her na nakapanganak na ako. How I wish she was with me during that time.

My pregnancy journey has ended. I was thrilled. I am a mother, finally.


No comments:

Post a Comment