Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tawilis in Edmonton

We were at T&T Supermarket last Sunday and my eyes rolled in disbelief when I saw several packs of this...


Tawilis, is that really you???

I've been here in Edmonton for almost a year now and that was the first time I saw frozen tawilis in the supermarket.

You see, I am your typical promdi who grew up eating different types of fish. I love fish, yung mga non-sosyal fish daw sabi ng asawa ko like bangus, galunggong, dalagang-bukid, ayungin, hasa-hasa, tilapia, etc. I also love salmon and tuna but because I immigrated here, talagang yung mga Pinoy fish ang nami-miss ko. I even told my mother that when I go home next year, puro fresh fish ang ihanda niya for me. That is what we lack here in Edmonton eh, fresh seafoods. Lahat frozen.

Crispy fried tawilis is one of my favorites so talagang naatat ako nang makakita nito. I grabbed a pack and put it in our cart.

I was shocked though when I learned (after my husband has paid for it) that it costs $7.33 (or approximately Php300)! Waah, ang mahal naman pala! Around 20 pieces lang yun ha, kulang pa na kainin ko in one sitting. When I called my mother, ang sabi niya kabibili lang daw niya sa palengke nito... Php40 isang kilo! Asar-talo ako.

I mentally took note that this will probably be the last time na bibili ako nito, unless  i-sale ng 50% off haha! I just convinced myself that since I am pregnant, entitled akong kainin ang mga gusto kahit mahal (pampalubag-loob).

Hay, buhay-Canada! Filipinos here might be earning dollars pero sobrang taas din naman ng cost of living. Nasa disadvantage position ang mga Pinoy because of course, the food that we like to eat (i.e. Filipino products) are all "imported". Hence, doble o triple ang cost kumpara sa food ng Canadians.

Oh well, I guess kailangan na talagang mag-adjust soon. In order to save, we need to find cheaper, non-imported alternatives to some Filipino products that we like.


No comments:

Post a Comment