Tuesday, August 19, 2014

20th not 28!

And all along I thought I wouldn't have any problem with "language" when I moved here in Canada. I was confident enough with my English skills.

But then this incident happened.

My scratch note (pink ink) / His scratch note (purple ink)

My husband received a voice mail last Sunday about my "diabetes appointment" on AUGUST 20. The hospital staff was asking me to call back for some info daw so they can prepare my charts.

FORD -- Bimbim, tumawag sakin ang hospital. Sa August 20 daw ang appointment mo!
CES -- Ha? This August 20? Ang sabi sa akin August 28!

When I listened to the voice mail, it became clear that my appointment is indeed on the 20th and not on 28 as I understood it to be.

CES -- Kaloka, buti tumawag sila! Kung hindi pala eh ma-skip ko ang appointment ko. Pero 28 talaga ang intindi ko eh. Ang unang pumasok pa nga sa isip ko ay it's a day after my birthday. Paulit-ulit pang minention nung staff ang 28.

I am not sure if it's the staff's (who called me last August 7) accent or my hearing that is to blame. Kaya pala hindi ako mapakali kasi ang unang sabi sa akin ay every Wednesday ang diabetes session pero thursday magfo-fall ang August 28. I tried calling after we hang the phone up to make sure pero voice message na lang ang sumagot kaya I told myself I'll call na lang again pag malapit na ang 28. Buti na lang talaga tumawag sila uli.

As I reflect, I really couldn't believe it that I'll almost miss an important appointment because I misunderstood the instruction. I don't claim to be excellent in the English language but I am certainly above average. I never had any problem with speaking, writing, nor hearing it. Tag-Lish is my official personal language (hence the medium of my blog) so English has really become part of me.

I wish it's just the staff's accent that confused me.

One lesson learned -- dapat talaga siguraduhin na ang sinasabi ng nasa kabilang linya at baka magkamali na naman.



No comments:

Post a Comment