Saturday, August 16, 2014

Latest Discovery: Little Asia Noodle House (Edmonton)

Ford and I were very thrilled upon discovering Little Asia Noodle House yesterday. We've actually just learned about it in the Facebook group 'Pinoys in Edmonton', when somebody asked what the 'best' Filipino restaurant is here in Edmonton. A couple of members suggested Little Asia so that triggered our curiosity.

We live in the west end but we didn't care even if Little Asia is located in the south side. Wala namang trapik dito sa Edmonton so keri lang. We drove for less than 30 minutes.

We were kinda surprised upon seeing the inside of Milbourne Market Mall. Foodcourt agad ang bumungad sa amin. Hindi siya 'sosyal', I told myself. Medyo madilim pa ang ambiance (hence the poor-quality photos).

We saw just a couple of stalls, isa na nga dun ang Little Asia Noodle House.


"Noodle house yata yan, Pod," I skeptically told my husband. Baka kako more on Chinese cuisine siya. Pero nang lumapit kami, ala-turo-turo pala.

Objectively, the Little Asia stall looked very 'low end.' Parang carinderia lang sa isang palengke. Para tuloy wala kami sa Canada haha!


This framed breakfast menu first caught my attention. Wow, $5.99 lang ang tapsilog? Ang mura!


Then my husband pointed this out:


Really??? $5.99 lang for two ulam??? My heart palpitated haha! In my more than 9 months of living here in Edmonton, ngayon lang ako nakakita ng ganyan kamurang Pinoy meal combo. I am a certified food kuripot (and the Pinoy in me still converts dollars to pesos) so imagine how happy I was about this.

And so it was time to choose the ulam.


The dishes looked appetizing enough. I admit that I am no cook so mababaw lang ang standards ko sa pagkain. I have very limited cooking skills and lately, because of pregnancy, I wasn't in the mood to prepare ulam na may sabaw. Kaya excited talaga akong makakita ng ulam na hindi prito.


I noticed that all they serve are meat dishes. Sabagay, asa pa sa isda o gulay. Or maybe hindi lang namin natapatan? Wala rin silang ulam na may sabaw like sinigang o tinola. Mostly masarsa lang talaga.

This is what I've chosen -- bistek tagalog and pork caldereta.


Our $12.60 dinner! The husband was very happy kasi ang mura daw! Normally, we would spend $25-35 eating out (ordinary restos lang ha) so talagang murang-mura siya dito.



At nakakatuwa kasi ang dami ng serving! One viand is enough na nga kung tutuusin. The guy on the FB group was right, wala ngang overpricing sa Little Asia!

Nabitin pa sa rice si Ford so he ordered another cup - just for a dollar! He suddenly compared it to one Pinoy restaurant we've been to na $3 ang isang cup! Rip off talaga!

Haha, kung hindi lang ako on diet because of my gestational diabetes, I could have eaten two cups of rice din! Ang dami nga kasing ulam. And objectively, masarap naman.

We toured the mall a bit after eating and when we came back to the foodcourt, maraming tao na uli sa Little Asia. Most of them were buying food for take-out.


Of course we have to buy, too! Para may ulam na kami kinabukasan.

Here's the prices of their ulam per cup/bowl. Ang mura talaga! Haha, we could have uttered the word "cheap" a thousand times last night.


If only we live nearby, bibili na lang ako ng food dito araw-araw because it will be more practical considering na dalawa lang kaming mag-asawa sa bahay at madalas magkaiba pa kami ng food preference.

Another good thing pala is that despite their cheap prices, they still accept credit card payment.



We will definitely be back! We'd probably visit Little Asia every week until I give birth haha!

Ford kept on kidding me on our way home na mag-relocate na raw kami sa south dahil mas mura ang ulam. Haha, kung di lang kami nakabili ng sariling bahay, I would really now consider living there. For us who don't really cook, malaking bagay ang may ganitong nabibilhan ng pagkain.

I am hoping Little Asia branches out soon. Sana magkaroon sa area namin.

-------------------------------------
Little Asia Noodle House
(780)485-9808
Millbourne Market Mall
7609 38 Ave NW
Edmonton, AB T6K 3L6
Store Hours: Weekdays - 9am-9pm
                    Weekends - 9am -5pm


____________________________________________________________________

UPDATE -- August 24, 2014

We went back on a Sunday lunch time and was glad to learn that they serve "may sabaw" and vegetable dishes din pala. I guess it's better to go there during lunch time for better variety.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Ces. Just to inform you, closed na po ang Little Asia. I went there yesterday to buy but I was surprised to find out that they were issued FOR CLOSURE by the City of Edmonton. The Notice is posted in the store but I won't be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closed by food inspectors. The stall will open soon as Food D-licious but I don't know if same concept or management.

    ReplyDelete