Sunday, August 17, 2014

Beware of this tinola

One of the reasons of my excitement upon discovering a Filipino ulam store the other day is my disappointment with this one.


My husband doesn't eat tinola. Again, I am pregnant and in no mood to cook a dish that only I would consume so I asked him to buy me a ready-to-eat tinola instead. A friend once asked us to buy this tinola for her from a Filipino store (here in the west area) a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to try it as well.

Ford was very happy when he handed to me this viand container:

FORD -- Ang mura grabe. $6.50 lang (plus 5% tax of course)
CES -- Oo nga. Sana masarap. Para di na ako magluluto niyan pag nagke-crave ako.
FORD -- Tipid nga pag ganyan. Mga dalawang ulaman mo yan, sulit.

The container looked big enough so I was hopeful.

The following day, sinimulan ko ng kainin. I was able to grab three small chicken pieces from the container for my lunch. As in small lang talaga.

The tinola tasted ok. Masyado lang maluya pero masarap naman. "Hmm, pwede na," I told myself. Sa wakas di na ako mage-experiment sa tinola.

The day after, I wanted to finish na the tinola so poured everything that's left on the bowl (more than half pa ang nasa container). But to my utmost disappointment, isang small piece na lang ang natira. Sinubukan ko pang halu-haluin pero wala na talaga. Puro sabaw at dahon na lang. Saka pala yung parang sayote na mukhang hindi naman sayote.


I was so pissed that I texted Ford who was at work.

CES -- Kaloka Pod, apat na piraso lang pala ang laman ng tinolang ito! Ang liliit pa! Lugi!!!
FORD -- Hahaha! Naloko ka!

I know this may sound shallow but my rant about this tinola just reflects my general dismay on how some Filipinos conduct their business here in Canada.

$6.50 is still hard earned money and we deserve more than four small pieces of chicken for that. Chicken is not expensive so I don't think na ikalulugi nila kung magdagdag sila ng dalawa pang piraso noh.

I just wish that those Filipino businessmen here in Edmonton would realize that apart from earning profit, they can also be of service their kababayans at the same time by giving them quality goods and services. Pwede namang pareho, di ba? We are all living here in an alien place and the most we can do is help each other.

Pero sa ngayon, my advise... beware of this tinola muna!


------------------------
NOTE: I refuse to name the establishment where I bought the food I rant about because I don't want to give them bad business. If they happen to read this, I am hoping they can "improve." To readers who want to know, just pm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment